Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Race that began a loooong time ago!! (Part 1)

This statement is not to suggest that Narayan Kartikeyan has competition in F1 race!!! But the race that I mention is the 'rat-race' that I was a part of for good three years of my life... Some magazine mentioned that by 2020 one in every 5 people would be an MBA or would have taken the exam for MBA...

I have contributed to these statistics for quite some time now... I have taken b-school exams for different institutes... Sometimes did not clear the exam, sometimes cleared the exam but not the interview, sometimes both... I had decided that this year was going to be the last year I take this exam - CAT... I have been trying to bell the CAT; but for some strange reason - it kept going further away from me - like a mirage... So, finally I decided that my perseverance (which is my strength) needs a check and practicality (displayed very rarely) should get priority...

Thus, geared up for the exam - one last time... Always thought that 10th maths and basic english could never be so difficult... And it came as a surprise to me when I actually needed 3 attempts to clear this exams despite toiling hard... I have first hand experience which prove that 10th and 12th boards were easy... And with time my intelligence should have grown making it even easier to crack this exam that was based on this syllabus... But, it just did not happen...

So, finally D-day arrived and I took the test... Every year, I checked my score - analysed - referenced - cross referenced... The scoreboard showed the following:

Year 1 - 99.32 percentile - two calls - not converted
Year 2 - 96 percentile - less said about it the better...

So, this year no analysis was done... Frankly did not even understand how the paper was... And did not make an effort too... Call it superstition or whatever... Finally, one unexpected day the results were out... The updated scoreboard had one more entry

Year 3 - 99.63 percentile - 3 calls... Fate still to be decided...

What was different, what clicked, what worked??? Now after the results, I can answer this - as an afterthought... But definitely not after the exams...

Thereafter prepared for interviews... For that section read on the next blog...

No comments: